United Way will be recommending board books, early reader, and young adult books every month, based on a monthly theme and including everything from classics to personal picks from our staff! We hope you’ll join us and share some of your favorite books. Leave a comment with some titles/authors you enjoyed as a child or have shared with your family!
August’s theme is SCIENCE (fiction)! Books have the power to inspire curiosity about a number of scientific fields, including environmental science, biology and genetics, physics, math, astronomy, electronics, and more.
Encouraging generations of explorers and scholars, science fiction has played an important part in getting kids to ask questions about the world around them and “to boldly go where no one has gone before.”
Board Books (Pre-K)
- Robots, Robots Everywhere, by Sue Fliess
- In the Tall, Tall Grass, by Denise Fleming
Early Reader (School-age kids)
- A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle
- The Underland Chronicles, by Suzanne Collins
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O’Brien
Young Adult (Ages 14-21)
- Oryx and Crake trilogy, by Margaret Atwood
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
- Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline