Happiness - it's something we all strive for.
One proven way to increase your happiness? Volunteering! A recent survey showed that regular volunteering reduced depression and improved overall health and longevity. The results were especially strong for older adults. Volunteering can help you in many areas of your life. It can strengthen relationships, build friendships, and improve your sense of self-worth!
- Volunteering builds a sense of purpose, belonging and community spirit
- Over 50% of volunteers reported making a new friend while giving back
- Volunteering can enhance your relationships: 80% percent of volunteers say that their relationship improved when they volunteered with their mate
- You can even find love: 10% of volunteers found romantic relationships from volunteering!
Spreading happiness is pretty fun too. Here are some great places to volunteer if you'd like to bring happiness to others:
- Senior Centers or Nursing Homes
- Marathons or sporting events (Cheering others on is a joyful experience!)
- Youth centers
- Reading to children
- Mentoring programs
- Animal Shelters
Ready to bring some happiness into your life or the lives of others? Visit www.cuvolunteer.org for list of local volunteer opportunities.