October’s theme is MYSTERY! Sherlock Holmes might be the world’s greatest detective, but there are plenty of super-sleuths out there that younger readers can relate to. Figuring out a mystery alongside these characters is a great exercise in reasoning and deductive logic—but it can also inspire competition. Parents might want to revisit these books with their kids and enjoy putting the pieces together!
Board Books (Pre-K)
- Gossie, by Olivier Dunrea
- How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? By Margaret MacNamara
Early Reader (School-age kids)
- Cam Jansen series, by David A. Adler
- Nancy Drew series, by Carolyn Keene
- The Hardy Boys series, by Franklin W. Dixon
Young Adult / Adult (Ages 14-21)
- The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, by Mark Haddon
And this month, we have two selections for Adults!
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
- Before I Go To Sleep, by S. J. Watson